Adrenomed AG is a privately-financed biopharmaceutical company with a clear mission: to improve vascular integrity in order to improve survival. Adrenomed was established in 2009 by Dr. Bernd Wegener and Dr. Andreas Bergmann, co-founders & former executive managers of BRAHMS AG. They changed the standard of care in sepsis by developing Procalcitonin (B.R.A.H.M.S. PCTTM), the diagnostic gold standard sepsis biomarker.
We are focusing on the discovery and development of monoclonal antibody therapies that target the vasoactive Adrenomedullin system as a new strategy for causative and safe treatment of acute circulatory failure, e.g. septic shock. Our lead product is the first-in-class drug candidate Adrecizumab, a humanized monoclonal Adrenomedullin-specific antibody . Adrenomedullin is a vasoactive peptide hormone released by vascular endothelial cells. During sepsis, the impairment of the endothelial barrier leads to collapse of blood pressure (septic shock) which frequently results in multiple organ failure and death. Adrenomedullin is a key regulator of vascular integrity and plays a pivotal role in the development of septic shock. Adrecizumab has an innovative mode of action that spatially controls Adrenomedullin activity, thereby reducing vascular leakage, stabilizing the circulation and lowering mortality.
Dr. Bernd Wegener | Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Dr. Andreas Bergmann | Chief Scientific Officer (CSO)
The virtual nature of the company leads to a very lean personnel structure that mainly focusses on project management. The key competences for planning and evaluation of the preclinical and clinical study program as well as CMC development are in-house capabilities; all operational resources are third party based capacities. The experienced sepsis research for decades resulted in an extensive network with key opinion leaders worldwide in cardiovascular disease and sepsis that support Adrenomed’s clinical research.
Prof. Paul Scigalla | Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
Dr. Frauke Hein | Chief Business Officer (CBO)
Dr. Joachim Struck | Head of Research & Development
Granzer Regulatory Consulting & Services
Renke Lührs (Chairman) | Corporate Lawyer & Partner of Buse Heberer Fromm Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Partnerschaftsgesellschaft in Berlin
Dr. Gerald Moeller | Co-founder of Adrenomed with over 35 years of Management Experience in the Diagnostic and Pharmaceutical Industry
Dr. Metod Miklus | CEO of ExpoCapital GmbH and Co-founder of BRAHMS
- Designing phase 3 sepsis trials: application of learned experiences from critical care trials in acute heart failure
Alexandre Mebazaa, Pierre François Laterre, James A. Russell, Andreas Bergmann, Luciano Gattinoni, Etienne Gayat, Michael O. Harhay, Oliver Hartmann, Frauke Hein, Anne Louise Kjolbye, Matthieu Legrand, Roger J. Lewis, John C. Marshall, Gernot Marx, Peter Radermacher, Mathias Schroedter, Paul Scigalla, Wendy Gattis Stough, Joachim Struck, Greet Van den Berghe, Mehmet Birhan Yilmaz and Derek C. Angus, IJournal of Intensive Care 2016, 4:24 | PDF | PubMed
- Epitope specificity of anti-Adrenomedullin antibodies determines efficacy of mortality reduction in a cecal ligation and puncture mouse model
- Adrenomedullin binding improves catecholamine responsiveness and kidney function in resuscitated murine septic shock
Katja Wagner, Ulrich Wachter, Josef A Vogt, Angelika Scheuerle, Oscar McCook, Sandra Weber, Michael Gröger, Bettina Stahl, Michael Georgieff, Peter Möller, Andreas Bergmann, Frauke Hein, Enrico Calzia, Peter Radermacher, Florian Wagner, Intensive Care Medicine Experimental 2013, 1:2 | PDF | PubMed
- Plasma adrenomedullin is associated with short-term mortality and vasopressor requirement in patients admitted with sepsis
- Hemodynamics effects of Adrecizumab in sepsis rat
Blet A, Sadoune M , Polidano E , Merval R, Bernard C , Samuel JL and Mebazaa A, Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, 2015, 3(Suppl 1):A618 | PDF
- Endothelial Barrier Injury is directly related to Kidney Dysfunction in resuscitated murine shock model
- Adrenomedullin: it's double-edged sword during sepsis slices yet again
Kox M, Pickkers P, (Editorial) Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, 2014, 2:1 | PDF
- Sepsis bekämpfen - Leben retten
Andreas Bergmann in |transkript 3/2016 | Website (german)
December 11, 2017: Adrenomed AG doses first patient in proof of concept study with Adrecizumab to treat patients with early septic shock | download
September 25, 2017: Researchers to Present New Preclinical and Clinical Data on Lead Candidate Adrecizumab at Upcoming ESICM (European Society of Intensive Care Medicine) Conference | download
August 11, 2017: Adrenomed AG receives approval to conduct proof of concept study with Adrecizumab to treat patients with Early Septic Shock | download
March 08, 2017: Phase I successfully completed | Adrecizumab is safe, well tolerated and shows additional therapeutic potential in acute heart failure | download
- Angus et al. (2010) The Surviving Sepsis Campaign: results of an international guideline-based performance improvement program targeting severe sepsis. Intensive Care Med 2010; 36(2): 222-231.
- U.S. National Hospital Discharge Survey (2008) www.cdc.gov
- Kitamura et al. (1993) Adrenomedullin: a novel hypotensive peptide isolated from human pheochromocytoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 192: 553-60.
- Temmesfeld-Wollbrück et al. (2007) Adrenomedullin and endothelial barrier function. Thromb Haemost. 98(5): 944-51.
- Temmesfeld-Wollbrück et al. (2007) Adrenomedullin reduces vascular hyperpermeability and improves survival in rat septic shock. Intensive Care Med. 33(4): 703-10.
- Koyama et al. (2013) Vascular endothelial adrenomedullin-RAMP2 system is essential for vascular integrity and organ homeostasis. Circulation. 127(7): 842-53.
- Wagner et al. (2012) Adrenomedullin binding improves catecholamine responsiveness and kidney function in resuscitated murine septic shock, Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, 1:2.
- Karpinich et al. (2011) Adrenomedullin Function in Vascular Endothelial Cells: Insights from Genetic Mouse Models. Curr Hypertens Rev, 7(4):228-239.